Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Can We At Least Agree on What "Agree" Means?

Like the good citizen that I am, I decided to read up on proposition 56 in my California voter’s guide to get my facts straight. (In case you are not from CA, prop 56 is a constitutional ammedment that would make it even easier for our legislature to tax us to death by reducing the vote needed to pass a spending bill from a 2/3 majority to only 55%.) On page 11 of the guide, there’s a "Fiscal Effects" analysis prepared by some unnamed Legislative Analyst in the Attorney General’s office which includes this statement: "This proposition, by reducing the number of votes needed to pass budget-related bills, would make it easier for the legislature to agree on these measures." [Emphasis mine.]

Shouldn’t that be “disagree?” I don’t know where this guy studied math, but I was taught that when there is a 55-45 split of opinon, that means there is LESS agreement among the parties than with a 67-33 split, not more. Prop 56 would certainly make it easier to get a spending bill to pass, but it would be in spite of disagreement among the legislators, not because they suddenly agree.

No comments: