Monday, February 23, 2004

Contact Management Software for Job Seekers

I'm on a quest to find a good, inexpensive contact management software package to recommend to jobseekers. ACT and Goldmine are way too expensive at $500 a pop. So far, the closest I've seen is one that my friend, Vladimir, just discovered. It's the QuickBooks Customer Manager for $80. It's a version 1.0 product, so the feature set is lacking, but the basics are there. [See the CNET Review] I especially like the way it manages links between names and companies. You can associate several individuals with a company/organization and quickly jump between them. For example, I can click on my employer and see a list of all of my coworkers (that I’ve entered), and from their click on myself. My record, in turn, shows that I'm associated with my employer (of course) as well as the School of Information and Computer Science at U.C. Irvine. If I click on that link, it'll show me all of the other people that are associated with the ICS School (i.e. my fellow alumni, current faculty, and whomever else I'm tracking as such). In that regard, it's very much like the genealogy software I use. My biggest complaint is that the searching capability is severely limited. For example, you cannot search within the text fields of the notes, the call logs, or the e-mails that are associated with people. Don't get me wrong, this is better than trying to use Outlook alone as a contact manager, and I'll probably stick with it and hope that a search feature is forthcoming. In the mean time, if anyone out there knows of a better alternative, preferably an open-source one, I'll all ears.

No comments: